Diatomaceous Earth Precautions
- DE production staff working in Food Grade DE mines in the US report no ill effect from prolonged and regular inhalation of dust in the workplace.
- Despite this, dust inhalation of any kind, especially in a pro-longed nature should be considered un-healthy and best avoided.
- We recommend exercising caution and using a mask especially when applying heavy applications and working with volume to avoid an excess of inhalation.
- Asthma suffers or other lung ailments should certainly take extra careful and take additional precautions and be conscious not to breathe the ultra-fine dust particles.
- Avoid getting DE in the eyes of yourself, your animals and livestock. DE is drying to the eyes, so be aware of wind direction.
- DE can be drying to your skin, hands, and feet, similarly to your pets. If you suffer from dry skin you may consider using gloves when handling.
- Some two legged mammals have the potential to experience a healing crisis (detox reaction) when beginning DE consumption. If this occurs, reduce the dose, increase in slow increments until RDA is reached.
- Apply liberally on carpets and similar surfaces. There have been reports of excessive volumes of DE causing issues with certain vacuum cleaners.
- Ensure all spray equipment is cleaned after use to avoid DE leaving residue deposits in the tank, pump, nozzles etc. Simply flushing with clean fresh water for a minute until clean will suffice.
- DE has the potential to kill beneficial insects as well, exercise
discretion particularly with flowering plants where bees may frequent in
- NEVER use pool filter grade, industrial grade or any diatomaceous earth other than those labeled "Food Grade" for yourself or your animals. It can poison or kill them.
- Don’t settle for anything less than Perma-guard Fossil Shell Flour for your home, your family, pets, farm or horticultural uses. Fossil Shell Flour is the purest, most refined food grade DE available in the world that we know of. Perma-guard have achieved OMRI (Organic Materials Review Institute) status for Fossil Shell Flour – certified Organic in the United States. New Zealand Organic status has recently been granted by BioGro - BG5339.
- Storage - We recommend you store your DE in an airtight container upon receipt of your shipped product. DE, water and humidity don't mix from a storage perspective and keeping your DE dry until use will be beneficial to it's efficacy and long term storage.
What our customers say
"About 20 years ago I acquired toxic poisoning from regular application of 24D gorse spray and other chemical based pesticides. As a result, my weight was 9 stone which was considerably low given I am over six foot. After nearly two decades it has taken me all these years to get up to 10 stone - still very much underweight."
No items found.
All prices are shown in New Zealand Dollars and inclusive of GST unless otherwise stated. Prices excluding GST show for non NZ Visitors.